Saturday, February 26, 2011

Aesthetics

After researching this topic a bit more I have finally came to my ah-ha! moment. I was reading an article online at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/aesthetics-1.shtml. In this article i was surprised to find out how in depth aesthetics actually is. I couldn't believe there were NINE steps to this one word. I use to look at professional photographs and think "whats so hard about snapping a few photographs of one image and then picking the best one?" After the last few weeks of this class and reading over the nine steps to taking a beautiful photograph I have realized that photography is not that easy. You have to be able to relate to all nine steps as listed in the online site I mentioned...

  1. How to see photographically
  2. How to compose a photograph
  3. How to choose the best lens for a specific composition
  4. How to find the best light for a specificphotograph
  5. How to chose the best "film" for a specific image
  6. How to determine the best exposure for a specific scene
  7. How to decide which ones are "keepers" and which are not
  8. How to assemble a body of work
  9. How to establish a specif photographic style
This was an ah-ha! moment for me because I really could not believe all the effort one must put into a photo and how much knowledge they should possess in order to take the perfect picture.

2 comments:

  1. You were so right, I also always think what was so hard about snapping a few pictures and choosing the best one that was at least until I began this class and started learning the aspects of good picture capturing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to your slide show, Amanda. Hope you can get that up here soon.

    I agree with you, there is a lot to consider when taking a good photo. Composition is what a big part of that is, and it sounds like you're getting the right idea, to be thoughtful BEFORE you snap the shutter release button.

    ReplyDelete