Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Monochromatic, Analogous & Complimentary Pictures

I really enjoyed this weeks assignment dealing with colors. I had so much fun in fact that I took pictures of all the options (monochromatic, analogous, and complentary) even though we were only asked to choose two.

Monochromatic: One hue (color). This photo is taken through the bottom of a green glass that is set on a white table cloth. My Sony Cyber-Shot camera was on the twilight portrait setting (shoots portraits in low light with flash). I tried this picture in a variety of settings but this one cameout the best. I really like the all "green" affect the glass had.

Analogous: Three colors in which are next to one another on the color wheel. As you can see I chose to photograph a red, orange and yellow pepper with a black background. My camera was set on the soft snap setting (shoots subject with soft background and flash). As all of you already know when red and yellow are combined in equal amounts they create the color orange; therefore, red, yellow and orange are in a group on the color wheel. I tried this photograph with a white background and in different positions/angles; however, I really enjoyed the colors and textures in the one I chose to share.
Complementary: Two colors in which are opposite of each other on the color wheel. I chose the colors red and green in the photograph above. As you can see there are red roses, green stem/leaves, green marbles and the basket has red and green stripes. I believe the white background makes the red richer and the green still stand out. My camera was set to auto mode with flash. I aslo took many shots of these objects. I tried the vase outside the basket (but the flowers didnt stand out as much) and I tried the basket on its side with the vase inbetween the stripes of red and green but the picture contained too much white background for my liking.

9 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I love the ones of the peppers. The colors are so vibrant! The monochromatic picture is also very creative! I would have never thought to shoot through the glass, and still be able to see so much detail!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an excellent picture of the monochromatic! I love this picture. What a great idea to use a glass! It never even crossed my mind to utilize that tool. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The monochrome was a good idea I took similar shots myself but not that were really to my liking.
    I enjoyed the subject matter of the analogous shot I had considered using peppers but dad stuffed and cooked them and although they were yummy they no longer were good picture material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your photos, great job getting into the color schemes. I love the perimeter of the first one, draws you into the middle. The sconed one looks like a photo I would see hanging up in a kitchen, very attractive to the eye. I like the darker background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed this weeks assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Amanda. I like the first photo with the monochromatic color scheme - green. This has an almost rippling effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of shooting through the glass, it makes me think of the flashlight my kids had which you could turn to shine red or green. I want to try shooting through colored saran wrap, not sure how much it will glare though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on doing three color schemes. My one suggestion might be to crop your complementary roses photo so the flowers are more the subject. There is too much background which takes away from the lovely flowers, which are your subject.

    ReplyDelete